• Frequently Asked Questions


For an additional cost you can choose to protect your home (buildings) and its contents against accidental damage. The choices available are usually:
  • no accidental damage cover
  • limited accidental damage cover – This usually covers you for accidental damage to glass, sanitaryware and fixed glass.
  • extra accidental damage cover – This covers you for any other accidental damage
Examples of accidental damage to the building include: drilling into a pipe or cable, damage to a kitchen worktop caused by a hot pan or children drawing on the walls. Examples of accidental damage to contents include: damage caused by spilling food or drink on your carpet or accidentally knocking over an ornament.

If you have selected home emergency cover on your policy then you may be covered for the repair of the leak.

Some policies offer cover for tracing and accessing the leak and will pay reasonable costs.? For this to come into force there has to be damage to your buildings caused by the water, otherwise the cover will not apply.? In this instance you could contact a local plumber to find and repair the leak.? Ask them to show the cost of the repair on the invoice and the cost of tracing and accessing the leak separately.

Under Buildings cover is usually provided for loss of, or damage to the building caused by an?escape of water.? Likewise under Contents cover, your contents would be insured against the same cause of damage.

You need to ensure that your property has not been left unoccupied for longer than the term specified on your policy.? If you are going to leave the property for more than the specified time you need to contact your insurer to check they will still provide cover.? If they still offer cover they may add endorsements to your policy.? Please ensure you read and understand these.

Categories: Claims, Policy cover

Policies protect your home against the effects of storms and floods.? A buildings policy covers damage to buildings, garages and sheds and your contents policy will protect the items within your home and garden. Damage to hedges, gates and fences are usually not covered for damage caused by a storm.

Categories: Am I covered?, Claims

You do not need to provide proof of ownership for all of your possessions.? However, in the event of a claim, you may be asked to provide evidence of the value and ownership, such as purchase receipts and instruction manuals. It is essential to provide such documentation for any high-risk items specified on the policy, such as jewellery, watches or works of art.

Category: Claims

You should contact the company or companies the insurer has assigned your claim to for any queries or issues you have.

If they are unable to help then contact your insurer directly.

Category: Claims

Remove as much excess water as possible.? Do not use a household vacuum cleaner to suck up the water.

Remove portable furniture from the affected area.? ?or tin foil can be placed under wooden legs of furniture to help prevent water being absorbed.

Remove coloured rugs from fitted carpets as these may run.

Open windows and doors to ventilate the property.

If the floor under carpets is polished wood or parquet, carpets should be taken up (but kept for inspection). Please beware of gripper rods when removing carpets, especially where young children are present, as they can be very sharp.

Category: Claims

There is no limit to the number of times you can make a claim in a year, however you must take all reasonable care to prevent loss, injury or liability, damage or accidents and to maintain all property covered under the policy in good condition.? Any claim that you make could affect your No Claims Discount when your policy renews.

Category: Claims

This is entirely your own decision.? A loss assessor will charge a fee for their service or deduct their fee from any cash settlement the insurance company may offer.? It may be easier to deal with the insurance company yourself.

Category: Claims

This answer assumes your policy covers you for alternative accommodation.

If the flood damage to your home is so extensive that you can’t stay there, your insurer will usually arrange to put you and your family into temporary emergency accommodation while repairs are being carried out.? All reasonable costs are usually covered by your home insurance policy up to the policy limits.

Categories: Claims, Flooding

For a claim to be covered an insured event has to have happened.

An example of this – There is some heavy rain and water has come in through your roof and damaged the ceilings inside the property.? Rain can just highlight a maintenance issue.? It may be that your roof is showing signs of wear and tear.? Insurance does not provide cover to maintain a property.


Category: Claims

Check with your insurer about how they settle the claims.? The majority of insurers settle claims on a ‘new for old’ basis.? You might find they make a deduction for wear and tear on certain items, such as clothes.

Settlement is based on the item you had and not the price you paid for the item.

An example:? You had a 55 inch television purchased for ?1,300 about ten years ago.? The replacement model is based on the specifications of the television and not the price.? There might be a suitable replacement available which is ?1,000 less than the original price and this is what your insurer would offer you.? If you would prefer a cash settlement you might be offered a lower amount because the insurer will receive a discount from their supplier if they were to provide you with a television.

Category: Claims
  • Looking for a quote?

    Visit our quotes page

Scroll to Top